Have you ever rung a business and wondered if you had gotten the right one? The handling of incoming calls is generally understood as an essential component in giving a good first impression.
Checking what you are doing well and what you could improve upon assists in maintaining a professional standard.
Here are 9 tips to assist you in your professional handling of incoming calls:
- Answer the phone within three rings
- Be welcoming – open with a verbal handshake and smile
- State your company or department's name and your name
- Use the caller's name as soon as possible
- Listen to what the caller has to say
- Ask questions to gather information and to check understanding
- Use positive active language – tell them what you can do
- Take accurate messages
- Hang up last
Above all, demonstrate confidence, responsiveness and respect.
Your efforts will go a long way in giving a good impression of you and your business. It will also help to build relationships with your clients and potential clients.