Today – 8 March 2011 – is International Women’s Day (IWD).
IWD is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some countries such as China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, IWD is a national holiday.
The first IWD event was run in 1911 so 2011 marks the global centenary of the day. Throughout Australia, in fact the world, there are numerous events taking place to celebrate IWD.
A client of mine invited me to a luncheon that she hosted today for IWD. It was open to both men and women and it was good to see men from the company also in attendance.
The luncheon encouraged and generated lively discussion about how women can make a positive difference to not only the workforce but to society as a whole. Some key points that came from the discussions included:
- Invest in yourself through education
- Step out of your comfort zone and take on opportunities that come your way
- Be proactive – if you want something then make it happen
- Support each other
- Share what you know and what you’ve learnt
- Find mentors to help you achieve your goals
- Be yourself
- Celebrate the diversity that women bring to the workplace
To all the inspiring women that I’ve met – thank you!
For more information about International Women’s Day visit www.internationalwomensday.com