On 16 June, I had the privilege of attending the Inspiring Change Conference: Creating Opportunities – Pioneering Change. There were over 200 attendees.
Each speaker spoke about their experiences as change agents of their environment. Some had set out to make a change while others found themselves in a situation where they needed to make a change – sometimes for their own safety and the safety of those they loved. Their experiences inspired everyone in attendance.
Here are some key take-aways from the day.
The Conference MC, Irene Ross, began by giving us four words to consider and apply to our lives:
Imagine – Explore – Discover – Create
Australian television presenter, author and journalist
- Everyone has a way to reach others
- She has a voice that allows her to tell stories and make a difference
- We all want to belong to something
- Melissa's motto: Control the controllable
- Find your 'thing' and leave your mark
Founder of Beauty Bank and NSW Premier's Award for Woman of the Year 2016
Jennifer is a survivor of domestic violence. Two key points from her presentation were:
- Find something you are passionate about
- You can choose to dwell on negative experiences or you can choose to move on
Principal and Founder of Community Corporate
- The power of purpose – create opportunities from challenges
- Do the best you can by showing up everyday with your head held high
- By working hard, you become 'lucky'
Associate Director OTEN and Organisational Capability
- Sometimes the passion finds you rather than you finding it
- Make your intention to make a difference
- You never know what you can manage until you have the opportunity to manage it
- One of her favourite quotes is: Change your thoughts, change your world
The conference did indeed inspire each person to consider ways that as individuals we could make a positive change in society.